SILK Advocaten & Mediators B.V. handles your privacy with care and processes personal data only in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (AVG).
To whom does this privacy statement apply?
This Privacy Statement applies to all persons for whom SILK Advocaten & Mediators processes personal data.
Below is an overview of the most important categories:
- visitors to our website;
- clients of SILK Advocaten & Mediators;
- recipients of SILK Advocaten & Mediators newsletters and other mailings;
- potential clients of SILK Advocaten & Mediators;
- persons involved in legal proceedings or transactions in which SILK Advocaten & Mediators acts as attorney or mediator;
- (employees of) suppliers;
- third parties who communicate with SILK Advocaten & Mediators;
- alumni and applicants.
SILK Advocaten & Mediators processes personal data that you have provided to us yourself, personal data generated during your visit to our website and the reading of newsletters and personal data that we have derived from other sources.
Provided by you to SILK Advocaten & Mediators:
- Contact details and other personal information required for handling your case;
- Personal information that you provide to SILK Advocaten & Mediators in the context of events.
Personal data received from other sources:
- Personal data received from public online sources such as company websites and social media platforms, such as LinkedIn;
- Personal data obtained from the Trade Register of the Chamber of Commerce or Land Registry;
- Other personal data relating to you that we have obtained in the course of dealing with cases through clients and counterparties, among others.
We may use your data for the following purposes:
- Providing legal services by our lawyers and mediators and conducting (court) proceedings;
- Collecting invoices;
- Advice, mediation and referral;
- Fulfilment of our legal obligations such as archiving obligations and obligations under the Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing (Prevention) Act (WWFT);
- Maintaining contact and communicating with you;
- Recruitment and selection;
- Marketing activities, such as sending newsletters and other forms of marketing communication that may be of interest to you;
- For the security, use and improvement of our website;
- Improving the quality of own services.
The security of your data
SILK Advocaten & Mediators takes appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect your personal details against loss or against any form of unlawful processing. Persons who, on behalf of SILK Advocaten & Mediators, have access to your details or files are obliged - among other things on the basis of the rules of conduct and profession that apply to them - to observe secrecy. SILK Advocaten & Mediators uses standards of technological and operational security generally accepted in the sector to protect personal details against loss, misuse, change or destruction. If you have any questions about the security of your personal data, or if there are indications of misuse, we ask you to contact us via the contact details at the bottom of this page.
Enabling/sharing data with third parties
In certain cases it may be necessary for SILK Advocaten & Mediators to give third parties access to personal data, for example in the context of legal proceedings. No personal details are shared with third parties for commercial purposes. However, it may be the case that contact details of attendees are exchanged at events.
Third parties to whom we provide your personal data may themselves be responsible for compliance with the privacy legislation. In this case, SILK Advocaten & Mediators is not responsible or liable for the processing of your personal information by these third parties. To the extent that a third party processes your personal data in the capacity of processor of SILK Advocaten & Mediators and thus acts at the request and in accordance with instructions from SILK Advocaten & Mediators, SILK Advocaten & Mediators shall enter into a processor’s agreement with such third party that complies with the applicable privacy legislation.
Data outside the European Union
In order to provide our services, it may be necessary for SILK Advocaten & Mediators to transfer your personal data to a recipient in a country outside the European Union. In this case SILK Advocaten & Mediators will ensure that such transfer of data is in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation.
Basis of processing
In the processing of personal data by SILK Advocaten & Mediators, SILK Advocaten & Mediators relies on the following legal bases:
- Your consent (you can also withdraw this by contacting us);
- for the execution of an agreement to which you are a party (e.g. the provision of our legal services);
- to comply with a legal obligation incumbent upon us;
- to promote a legitimate interest of SILK Advocaten & Mediators, such as processing in the context of internal management, for effective communication, quality improvement or the organisation of events.
What are your rights?
You can send a request for inspection, correction, restriction, opposition, transferability of data, deletion of your personal data or withdrawal of previously given permission via the contact details below. You will receive further information from us within four weeks of receipt of your request.
Circumstances may arise where SILK Advocaten & Mediators cannot or cannot fully implement your request as a data subject. These include the duty of confidentiality of lawyers and statutory storage periods.
You can address your request(s) to us using the contact details at the bottom of this page.
Provision of personal data
With the exception of situations prescribed by law, you are never obliged to provide your personal data. If you do not wish to provide your data, this may result in our not being able to serve you or in a reduced service.
All personal data within SILK Advocaten & Mediators are stored with the greatest care and protected by, among other things, encryption.
Retention period of personal data
SILK Advocaten & Mediators does not store your personal details any longer than is strictly necessary for the purpose for which they were collected. Statutory storage periods are used for this. We must keep your files for five years after the file has been closed.
Our website uses functional (necessary) and analytical cookies. These cookies are necessary to make navigating the website possible. However, they are only valid for the duration of your browser session. The analytical cookies record how visitors use our website. With this information the use of the website is analysed and statistics can be generated. This helps SILK Advocaten & Mediators to understand what website visitors are looking for and to improve the website with that knowledge and experience. The service Google Analytics is used for this.
Use of Google Analytics
SILK Advocaten & Mediators uses Google Analytics to get an insight into the flow of visitors, traffic sources and page views on our website. This means that Google acts as a processor in the processing of personal data by SILK Advocaten & Mediators. SILK Advocaten & Mediators has therefore concluded a processing agreement with Google.
Information collected by Google Analytics is anonymised as much as possible. SILK Advocaten & Mediators gets no insight in which individual visitors visit our website. Google will never process your full IP address and the last octet of your IP address is masked. Data sharing is also switched off and no other Google services are used in combination with the Google Analytics cookies.
When you e-mail with SILK Advocaten & Mediators, it is important to realise that the use of e-mail can only be secured to a certain extent and then only when the right encryption methods are used. SILK Advocaten & Mediators does not use encryption methods as standard.
On the website of SILK Advocaten & Mediators buttons and/or links are included to promote or share web pages on social (media) networks or websites of third parties, such as Linkedin and Facebook. SILK Advocaten & Mediators does not supervise and is not responsible for the processing of your personal details by and through such third parties. The use of such media is therefore at your own risk. Before using the services of third parties, it is advisable to first read the privacy statement of those third parties.
Privacy Statement subject to change
SILK Advocaten & Mediators reserves the right to adjust or change this “privacy statement” for example when changes in processing occur or when regulations change. SILK Advocaten & Mediators therefore advises you to check this part of the website regularly.
If you have any questions or comments about the processing of your personal data and this privacy statement, please contact us using the contact details below.
De Lairessestraat 129
1075 HJ Amsterdam
Zuid Hollandlaan 7
2596 AL The Hague
This privacy statement was adopted on 31 October 2020.